Philip Glatfelter (1783-1864) was the oldest son of Henry (1752-1833) and Margaret (Heilman) Glatfelter (1760-1847). He was born on his father's farm in Shrewsbury (now Springfield) Township, York County, near Bupp's Union. His wife's name was Anna Mary (1787-1868). Her maiden name may have been Deveney, but we are not certain.
Sometime after his father left the Bupp's Union farm and moved onto one in North Codorus Township, near Stoverstown, Philip occupied the old place as a renter. For reasons as yet unknown, he never became its owner. When Henry Glatfelter sold it in 1832, the year before his death, the purchaser was not Philip, but Ludwig Bupp. Philip disappears from the township tax lists after 1831.